Join Nineke on Facebook!






Fiction: Right In Front Of Me



Paperback
        I was leaning against the wall, pressed into the corner beside the juke box. Luke stood next to me with his body at an angle, blocking the stairs from my view. I wasn’t really paying attention to anything, and I wished it was Bobby that close to me.
        Then he appeared.
        He tapped Luke on the shoulder and asked “Where’s Jenny?”
        Luke moved aside.
        “Oh,” Bobby said. “I thought…” he didn’t finish his sentence. He seemed a little off center, but all I could think was that he was really cute.
        “Hi,” I smiled, coy and cute. At least I hoped it was cute.
        He smiled back, took my arm and we walked to the van. We drove back without Luke, and I sang along to every song that came on the radio. Bobby seemed upset again, and I wished he wouldn’t be, but I wasn’t going to let it get to me.
        He stopped the car, and parked in front of my job.
        “I wanted to hang out with you, Jenny,” he said.
        And Luke said it was up to me to get the ball rolling.
        “Me too,” I replied.
        “I was hoping you’d come by last weekend.”
        “I know.”
        It’s hard to make sense of people and their thought processes and motives when you’re sober. But drunk, who even wants to try that? The thing was, though, that I didn’t need to. I just knew. I just got him, right then and there. I stopped not seeing it going anywhere, and I looked at what was right in front of me.
        I touched the back of his neck, and scratched at his hair. He leaned into my palm, and sighed. I moved my hand up a little and held his head.
        I felt like he wanted to talk to me. I wanted to listen.
        But I was drunk, and it was late, and I was tired.
        He reached for my other hand and held it. His fingers were warm wrapping around mine, his hair soft in my palm. I wished we would kiss then, but we didn’t. Life doesn’t always play out in perfect movie moments like it should.