Join Nineke on Facebook!






Fiction: At The Sight Of Him



Paperback
        Downstairs a white stretch H2 Hummer awaited us. Andie was part of our prom party. She and her date, Luke, and Tim were getting ready for pictures on Karen’s lawn. My parents knew that pictures were going down at four. If they couldn’t get it together to show up and get their share, I honestly didn’t care. I already knew I was set.
        I was perfect in my white and fire red. My hair was pulled back on the right side, a flower matching my dress and sprayed in gold glitter practically glued to the roots, keeping my locks in line and flowing down my back. If my mother missed the opportunity to snap the image I wouldn’t mind. Karen’s mom had us both, and plenty images to spare.
        It was when we got downstairs and outside the house that shock slapped us both silly, right in our perfectly concealed and foundationed faces. I could feel my cat eyes, the black liner, the orange shadow and the ends of my eyelids ready to jump off my face. I could feel my kidneys collapse, my intestines quake, and my heart palpitate as it fluttered up my throat, threatening abortion at my lips, all at the sight of him.
        Bobby was leaning against our limo, standing on the sidewalk. Technically he stood on the grass that sits at other side of the sidewalk, opposite the grass of the homeowner’s lawn, the grass that technically belongs to no one, but which the homeowner is still technically responsible for mowing.
        He stood there, and he looked at me, I knew he did, right at me. I saw him the moment I stepped out of Karen’s house. I wish I could’ve run back inside, up the stairs and jumped out her bathroom window, but I couldn’t. My parents were there too. My father and mother stood on Karen’s lawn, calling my name, ushering me from feet away to come out, stand by the bushes and pose beside Andie and Karen.