Join Nineke on Facebook!






Fiction: Fucking Addict



Paperback
        “I got the money. Let’s pick some up tonight.”
        I love this. Charlie Parker – one of the richest kids in this school – is begging me. All the rich kids kneel at my feet though. They want what only I can give them.
        “I don’t know Charles,” I say. “It’s pretty dangerous, risky business, you know.” I’m breaking his balls a little. “What if someone recognizes you? I couldn’t do that to your reputation.”
        “Come on Steel. I’m fresh out. I wanna be there.”
        He flicks his cigarette to the side.
        It’s a really beautiful day. I’m looking up at the sky now, not even listening to Parker. I don’t like the way he’s harassing me about my pick up. He wants in on my shit so bad he can almost taste it. I don’t like that.
        I’d never let him run with my crew. He’s an addict and he’d cost me.
        “Charlie,” I bring down my head, “You sound like a fucking addict.”
        He is immediately insulted, and withdraws just an inch. I can tell that he can tell that the people around us who are my friends heard me say that. They’re too cool to laugh in his face though. Not only do they know, and I know, it’s the truth, but he knows it too. So do his friends, who’re standing a few feet away. They may have also heard what I said.
        I continue to insult him, making my voice shake, like I’m sick.
        “You don’t want people to think…you’re some kind of,” I gasp, “junkie, do you?”
        He’s deeply offended. I laugh right in his face.
        “Very funny, Steel.” He hands me a two hundred dollars and says, “I’ll wait till tomorrow.”
        Like he had a choice.